Saturday 12 May 2012

Best Curry In Japan



Hello, and welcome to a new blog: Ichikawa & Funabashi Explored

So here we go!

I've always loved curry. My father used to get them free when unwitting Indian restaurant owners challenged him to eat their hottest ones. Vindaloo, Phall, you name it. This got passed down to me and it has always been a red hot love affair, despite the odd broken heart.

I have been searching for immense curry experiences ever since living in Japan. The standard 'soup curry' usually hits a spot, though I think most Nepali, Indian and Pakistani restaurants opt for this over their own more traditional recipes, but more on that later.

After trying literally hundreds of different places, I think I may have found the best curry in the Ichikawa and Funabashi area, and, as far as I've experienced, in Japan. Now, this is from my own perspective, and it's a big claim, but I'll share this experience with you knowing that if you love curry as much as I do, you will be thrilled that such a place exists.

Sapna Indian Restaurant, Motoyawata


I visited this amazing Indian curry restaurant three days ago. It wasn't just the food that was amazing either, the interior, the music, the service were all great too. If you live in the Ichikawa or Funabashi area, you're in for a treat.

The restaurant is situated about 4 minutes on foot from Motoyawata station. It feels like it's just the right distance that it's neither too exposed or too hidden. I went around 5pm so there was pretty much a whole restaurant to choose from. I decided to sit in the back room, as there were a couple of people in the main bit. Nothing to disturb my experience.

I was served by a Japanese gentleman, who waited around to take my order, asking the usual, “You can read?” (as I read the menu) and “Where from?” questions. I often get into pre- or mid-meal conversations when I eat at curry restaurants here, and especially after the 2nd or 3rd visit, but I wasn't that bothered by it this time. Though I've been in situations where the waiters seem to feel obliged to have long chats with me during meals when they really shouldn't feel the need to, and once I was even asked to fill out some bank forms for someone while I was chowing down. Anyway, I hoped I wouldn't be asked to complete any paperwork this time around.

Main area


I ordered Chicken Masala, rice (the waiter told me to order half as the rest would be very filling), naan, and a beer. There was some really nice jazz playing in the background, some standard female vocals over really mellow accompaniment. The windows were open and there was a lovely breeze. The outside was quiet even though there are semi-busy roads running parallel to both of the restaurant's entrances.

I looked around the room and sipped my beer. Then I was visited by Mr.Khan. I had known Mr.Khan from a few years back when he was working at this shop's sister restaurant in Ichikawa. Really, really nice guy. We chatted a bit and caught up. Then the food came.

Oh. My. God.


Best curry in Ichikawa (And probably Japan :))



Simply the best curry since coming to Japan 10 years ago. I couldn't quite believe how amazing it was. And spicy too. I think the best thing about it was that it was really similar to the curries you get at the best restaurants in the UK (I lived next to the Curry Mile in Manchester for 4 years). I've been looking for a curry like this for so long. I asked Mr.Khan about it and he explained that it was his own recipe and that it was made from scratch with all the essential herbs and spices.

It had all the makings of a homemade curry and felt it had been made with a lot of love, care and attention. We chatted about other curries you get in Japan and both agreed that the Japanese taste is for soup curry that doesn't pack much of a punch. This was a first for me in here. It felt like I was sitting in my local Indian restaurant in England, except there was no fear of having your meal ruined by the potential threat of violence.


Back room - quiet and spacious



I told Mr.Khan about my preferences for paratha, Basmati rice, and roti and he said that all could be arranged if we brought around 15 people down on a night with a bit of notice. He really is one of the loveliest people I've chatted to while dying to stuff my mouth full of Chicken Masala!

Mr.Khan popped back to give me his card. I finished up. I asked what the music was and had a couple of photos with the chefs before I left.

One down, many to go


The bill was a very reasonable ¥2000. The last thing I said as I left was “That has really warmed my heart”, as tears ran down my face in celebration of this spicy delight. Was amazingly hot; my father would be proud. 


Sapna Indian Restaurant
千葉県市川市南八幡3丁目6-17
272-0023, Japan 
+81 47-393-5115  
 sapna.web.fc2.com 

4 comments:

  1. Being naturally skeptical of superlatives like 'greatest' or 'best', while not doubting Paul's feelings about this shop, I figured the curry would be like most of the 'good' curries I have had in Japan, 'not bad'. Having visited Sapna last night and sampling four different curries, (Chicken Masala, Butter Chicken, Sag Mutton, and Dahl), I must agree that this quaint shop has the best curry I have had in my 14+ years in Japan. Will definitely be visiting here again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears were streaming down my face the entire time - not from the curry but from laughter of the clowns around me. I remember Sean Connery and golf or something-or-other. Superb meal, delicious curries, delightful ambience. Thanks, Paul and Paul and Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The is Best Indian Restaurants in Aberdeen. Indian delicacies food is known for its bold use of spices and herbs to infuse rich flavour in the food and elevate it to another level. But the real blast of taste and flavour comes from the love for cooking and creativity for the craft.

    ReplyDelete